On 08/17/2016 02:03 PM, Hunter Ellis wrote:
I'm interesting in trying cloth, but my intuition says that for long rides/tours there wouldn't be enough cushion or vibration dampening. Is that crazy talk? Do people use cloth for long rides?

Of course they do. Less now, of course, as cloth has largely gone out of fashion; but before cork wrap came into fashion, it was either cloth or plastic, and the plastic Benotto had zero sweat absorption. You really ought not be relying on something wrapped around the handlebars to provide cushioning or vibration dampening anyway.