Unfortunately, nobody knows what causes shimmy.  What I mean by that, is
that there is not a human being on earth that look at your bike and say
"your bike shimmies and here's why".  If we took 9 bikes that don't shimmy
and 1 that does and put them in a lineup, there is no human that can look
them over and pick out the shimmying bike.  If we took a non-shimmying bike
to the workshop there is no mechanic that can do work on it to cause it to
shimmy.

What we do know is that shimmy is a resonant oscillation, and everybody who
knows anything about resonsance knows that if it is resonating, then
everything that is important is just right in that oscillating mechanical
system.  To stop it, you change something that is important.  How do you
know what's important?  Take a guess and start changing things.  If it
helped, it was important.  If it doesn't, either it wasn't important or you
didn't change it enough.

A needlebearing headset has proven to be effective because it adds damping
to the oscillating mechanical system.  It's still resonating, but the
amplitude gets scrubbed off and the self-amplifying part of the resonance
fades away.  (for electronics geeks, damping reduces the Q of the system).
 The damping from a needlebearing headset is from friction.  A
needlebearing headset does not turn as freely.

Weight distribution on the bike can be quite important, and is the only
thing you can easily make major changes to.  Some people guess that tire
width and tire pressure can effect shimmy.  Some speculate that frame
stiffness and steering geometry influence whether or not a bike will
shimmy, but you are stuck with those things.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA