School begins on Monday, and we have before us a number of challenges. The
school is in its second year, and it has exploded in population. There was
nearly no parking to begin with, and with the second school in the neighborhood
also convening in the morning and with the canyon's whole workforce trying to
get out for their 25 minute commute with but one single road that we all must
share, biking is a NO-BRAINER. But nearly no one, excepting us, has done it.
The school is 2 miles from my door (too far to walk), all downhill to school,
and all uphill on the way home. The hill is so steep that a child really needs
brakes of good quality for the downhill, and a bike that isn't too heavy (these
are just kids, remember) and has GEARS for the way uphill. Also ideal would be
a bottle cage for water since we live in Vegas and a rack. But a rack is
probably asking too much.

I mentor the junior high girls from church (I heart teenagers!), and one of my
little favorites, L,  will attend our school. She and her little sister plan to
use their electric scooter and bike to join us. She babysits a boy who will
ride with us on his own bike. Another family I'm acquainted with asked if their
5th grader could join us. As I was leaving campus after the meet and greet
today, I heard L yell, "Leah! We have some more coming!"

"More what?" I asked.
"More girls!" she called.
"Riding bikes?" I asked, incredulous.
"Yes, my mom's getting all their information, I'll tell you later!"

So, there you have it. Leah's Bicycle Bus is born!

You might imagine I have some anxiety about the logistics. Even more about the
liability. I have a plan worked out, and I'll tweak it as need arises.

Now, for the question.

My only-5th grade-son has been reclassified as a middle-schooler. He must carry
all his books/folders/etc in his backpack. They tell me, "Oh, and here's his
Chromebook for the year. It goes home with him every night."

SERIOUSLY?

My Betty Foy has a Nitto Big Front Rack with the biggest Wald they make. The
back has a lighter duty rack that was acting as a support for my medium
Saddlesack. This is not going to carry both sons' bags and lunches now that my
"middle-schooler" must schlep around everything he owns. Also, what happens if
one of the neighborhood kids needs me to haul something?  I called Riv and Will
listened and we both thought I would need the Big Back Rack, so I ordered it.
Now, I wonder if I should continue to use my medium saddlesack or if I should
order the large. Or maybe just add Back-a-Bike-bags, which are out of stock for
now. Will suggested: http://www.carsickdesigns.com/products/large-pannier-set
but I don't love them very much.

Someone chime in and tell me what's the best way to carry all this weight.

Thanks once again! L