I think possibly your best bet is a used bike trailer hooked up to the
Betty engine. Maybe not as sexy as some other options, but hey, it's a
school bus, and you can often get them cheap. As kids join the train, they
can simply toss in their backpacks, books, whatever, saddle up, get in the
paceline, and then grab 'em right out at the school. No fussing with
opening and closing bags, buying expensive stuff, whose thing is in what
etc. No worries about kids precariously loading their bikes. (Though the
older ones should be schooled in rackage and baggage. A good after school
activity.) I have a Cycle Tote that would be perfect for this--basically a
big open box with soft canvas sides. Has a thing for when it rains. Even a
basic kid's Burley would be fine. Also good as a traffic calming device for
the trip. And it goes on/comes off in under a minute. Maybe a few of the
parents will even help fund it, since you will be saving them the hassle
and trip! Or apply for a Bike Train To School grant!