This got me wondering about what would degrade over time and why.  All I
could think of is the EPS foam (most of the helmet), the outside shell
(usually thermoformed PET or polyethylene terephthalate) and adhesive or
tape that binds them together.  I've seen the shell separate from taped
helmets.  PET is pretty durable but it is susceptible to UV.  EPS is pretty
inert and durable over time as well, usually susceptible to only UV and
hydrocarbons
(http://buildblock.com/asked-answered-what-is-the-expected-lifetime-of-the-expanded-polystyrene-eps-foam/).

 All that considered, I would assume that they would degrade slightly over
time the more time it spends outside in the sun.  Looking around for a
video I once saw where they used a 5-axis CNC for milling out the vent
holes on helmets I found this which I thought was mildly
entertaining: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7WSxzbNDiE  It did get me
wondering how they make those MIPS helmets, though

Now if I could just figure out how to clean those grungy straps!

John