Boulevard Brewing indeed! I live (sort of) in Olathe, 30 min. east of Lawrence
on K10, but I'm not here much because I work out of town and only get home
every month or two. In fact I was in CT for 3 years and rode several brevets
with DC Randonneurs. At any rate, this area of Kansas is definitely not flat.
Lots and lots of rolling hills. There are routes where you can climb 6000-7000
ft. in a 200KM ride. That's certainly not the elevation gains I got on the east
coast but it is by no means flat. There is plenty of good gravel (you're not
far from the Dirty Kanza ride), if you're into that, and quite a bit of
singletrack, ranging from easy to pretty technical (most of the technical stuff
I know of is closer to the KC area, but it's not that that far.