I'm really close to where you are at, Philip.  On my touring bike, I'm
currently running 44/28 with a 12-30, but I'm converting to a mountain rear
der so I can swap back and forth between an 11-32 and an 11-36.  I'll move
the 12-30 and the road derailer over to a roadier bike.

44x11 will be plenty for top end, and 28x36 ought to be low enough for the
kinds of loaded touring I intend to do.  If that turns out not to be the
case, I might drop to 42/26.  16-teeth of spread is the max that I ever do.
 Even that is a humongous jump, requiring lots of double shifting.  The
20-tooth jump that the OP recommends is further than I'm willing to go, but
I like the general concept, and the assertion that you can do everything
you need to do with 2 rings, if you are willing to work with it.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA