On 09/16/2016 12:32 PM, Clayton.sf wrote:
Just to clarify,

The way I read the article I it was aimed at touring bikes (example shows a Hunq) and their appropriate gearing. My response too was aimed at touring bikes not modern carbon race bikes. Plenty of triple options for Rivbikes.

Yes, they are equipped with two very sensible things: round seat tubes and BSC standard bottom brackets. With those two, you are gold. You probably won't ever hear someone equipped with a bike like that complaining about insufficient low gear, because they already have as low gearing as they could possibly every use with the standard typical parts that come on those bikes. Sensible for sure.

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 5:37:24 AM UTC-7, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    On 09/15/2016 11:45 PM, Clayton.sf wrote:
    > 40t cogs are the domain of 1x gearing IMO, unless it is an
    academic exercise or you are schlepping too much much gear. 22x40
    - you would likely be able to walk as fast. And... why not use at
    triple at that point. Personally I like short cage derailers for
    dirt or none at all and don't go beyond 36 in a cassette.

    In the carbon frame 11 speed era, increasingly 40T sprockets are the
    only way to get gears in the low 20s.  Triples aren't an option
    because
    1) there aren't many, if any, made for the type of bottom brackets
    used
    on carbon road bikes; 2) integrated brake/shift levers don't do
    triples
    (either at all, in the case of the higher group levels, or very
    successfully); 3) even if you could change crank sets you are still
    stuck with a 50T large chain ring on most of these bikes because the
    front derailleur is mounted on a "braze-on" bracket whose adjustment
    slot is made such that you can't lower the front derailleur at all.
    Along with that 50T big ring comes a 34T small ring.

    So where does this leave you?  34 x 32 is now the "standard" low
    gear,
    and the lowest "road" groups offer.  With the 23mm tires these bikes
    have, that's a 28" gear.  If you need lower than that, you've got
    to go
    to larger sprockets, and the next larger sizes are 36 and 40 which
    give
    you 25" and 22", respectively, and you've got to use one of the two
    Wolftooth devices: Roadlink (which will let that 32T capable road
    rear
    derailleur accommodate a 36T sprocket) or Tanpan, which will let
    you use
    a Dynasys rear derailleur, which can handle 40T.

    None of this is ideal, in that along with those 36 or 40T large
    sprockets you get an 11T 1st position, and 50x11 gives you a 120" top
    gear - and what anybody who needs a 25 or 22 inch low is going to do
    with a 120" big gear I cannot imagine.  The next gear down with these
    cassettes is a 50x13 which isn't so bad - 101" - so I imagine
    basically
    you treat the 1st position sprocket as a spacer and forget you
    have 11
    back there.

    But basically, with those bikes that is all you can do.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW Owners Bunch" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>.