That actually seems to fit with the bikes and the setups discussed. No one
in the world is going to spin a 72" gear, let alone a 96" gear (Sturmey
Archer 3d, 133% of direct) on a DL-1; and the DL-1 has the saddle waaaay
back.

And this also fits with what I've heard from racers: when you want to
generate power -- ie, when you are spinning all out -- you are "on the
rivet" -- ie, sitting on the nose of the saddle, where, back when racers
rode Brooks Pros or Swallows, there was a rivet attaching the leather to
the front of the saddle frame. And see the TT and pro road race bikes in
the post immediately prioer to this one.

I recall setting up what would have been a very nice 1989 Falcon, toute
531C with cool '80s painted Sante group. This was a bike with long stays
and very short front/center (hard to fit a thumb between 20" tire and down
tube).

I was chasing KOPS (knee over pedal spindle) with short femurs (my mother
was Filipino) and a liking for full leg extension on the downstroke. I had
to buy a mtb seatpost to get the saddle high enough, and I had the Turbo or
Flite so far forward that it would tilt under my weight; I had to use blue
Loctite on the cradle to hold it level. Of course, this also meant a 140 mm
stem (6" below saddle).

 I was sure fast spinning on the level -- these were the days when I could
maintain 20-21 in a 42/17 with a 20 mm tire -- but downhills were scary,
especially with gusty winds. And, standing on climbs, I'd skip the rear
wheel when I torqued down. (Grant later advised me to get bar up and back,
and saddle back and down; and I've been happy ever since.) Now the lowest I
go on our local 5 mile Tramway climb is 60", and usually 66" -- and I've
done it in a 76" gear.