Patrick-- the RailRunner is your friend.  Roll your bike onto the train,
get off at the Santo Domingo stop and the Jemez is a short spin away.
 Years ago I lived near Madrid and rode over into the Jemez from the
southeast corner through the Dixon Apple Orchard.  Good riding there.

Mojo-- you'd be interested to see the post-fire condition of the mountains.
 The drainages took a serious beating during the monsoon floods, but seem
to be recovering nicely.  Rustler Park looks good-- though it is now a high
altitude grassland instead of forest.    To answer your question about
gear-- I have been backpacking for probably 20 years, so my outdoor kit is
pretty refined and basic.  Stove, fuel, one pot for boiling and eating out
of, water purification tablets instead of a filter and a multitool-- that's
about the extent of the camping gear (plus tent, bag, pad).  But, my
confidence about mechanical failures and improvised bicycle repair is less
squared away.  I probably took too many spare bits and tools anticipating
the break-downs that never came.  I could have gotten by with one spare
tube instead of two.  What I left behind and should have brought was chain
lube-- after about 200 miles of dust my chain was pretty vocal.