Bob-

There is only one version of the Shimano bar-end shifters, and it has
enough cable pull for triples.

1) The cable pull may be limited by the limit screws on the front
derailleur.
2) It may be that you tensioned the FD cable while the shifter was not in
the full-down position.
3) You may be using a MTB FD with your bar-ends; MTB FDs have a different
cable pull (though usually bar-ends are flexible enough to work with them).