I've got several of the lever-arm "Crane" or  "Universal"-type bells; 2 of
55 mm diameter and one of 45 mm. All brass. The larger ones are nice and
loud and work fine on the paved and well-used bike path; but I the smaller
one is much softer in sound, and I chose that one for the Matthews which is
ridden as much as possible on our dirt roads and paths - the softer sound
is more fitting for the bucolic ambience, where the larger ones jarred the
sensibilities. I can always yell if I need more sound.

BTW, the larger ones can be modulated by the distance the striker is drawn
back. My escalation is: bell lightly; bell louder; bell louder and
repeated; "Cyclist!"; then "Heads UP!!!" It seems to work, though I do
admit once to taking a shudderingly blissful delight in scaring the shit
out of some clueless pedestrians, who had ignored my carefully calibrated
warning escalations, with a !Zounds! air horn.

I've flicked the Spurcycle in stores, and don't find them louder than my 55
mm Cranes/Unversals, or sweeter than my 45 mm one.