I missed this thread the first time around. I too am a Brompton owner but
the bike never really caught on with me. I just found the bike
uncomfortable and not fun to ride. Plus when you have a Riv, ask yourself
what bike would you rather ride? So the pair, (his and hers) sat in a
closet and we used them for when guests came.

Last fall, I had a change of location for my school and I would have to
park my Rivendell downtown on the street everyday which was too high risk
for me.  So I started taking my Brompton and bringing it into my office so
it wouldn't get stolen or stripped.  The more I rode the bike the more it
became the perfect commuter bike when in downtown traffic. When the snow
and icy streets came I installed studded tires. Now I really like the bike
for commuting.

I always tell people you buy a Brompton for the fold, you buy anything else
for the ride. When your bike is with you all the time, you don't have to
worry about theft and in my city of Toronto, that is a big deal. It's still
not comfortable, my limit for a commute is 45 minutes on it. Anything
longer I would want to ride my Sam Hillborne.

In the end the Rivendell is a nice compliment to my Brompton.