Carla,I used to have a sam. Great just to ride around, but also useful for
running errands etc. I had tektro 559s, and was not a fan. I later switched
to Paul Racers which were much better. the sam does all things pretty well,
but not excellent at one particular thing, which works for me. most of my
miles comes from commuting, running errands, and doing moderate weekend
rides. Nothing that requires lycra.

I've had noodles with a 8cm stem, and it was comfy. I had albatross bars,
and like drew, I found them too cramped.

I regret selling it, but I'm excited to try the Appaloosa, which is a
stretched out Sam, that is a bit beefier. Will be nice, since I plan to run
upright bars.

I also ride a semi-custom 650b BDB Pelican (my gf's once I get my 650b
norther cycles custom in shortly).