Written in this thread:

*But I don't think discs would dilute his product; after all, isn't what
most makes Rivendells to be Rivendells the ride and the feel? If not, if
it's just rim brakes and retro styling, then they're just pretty consumer
objects.*

*Of all the niggling little things that Grant won't do, disc mounts are
pretty much the easiest to do as an aftermarket change.*
I think it is more than just what makes a Rivendell a Rivendell, or Grant
being a "retrogrouch" and simply not doing "niggling little things" for the
sake of that label. (Also,  I would not call current Rivendells, with OS
tubing, upsloping top tubes--and the long head tubes that creates--fat
tires, V brakes, super long stems, super long chainstays, etc.,
particularly retro--certainly not l'eroica. But that's another topic.)

After not having visited in a long time, despite being only an hour and
change train ride away, I found myself in New York City several times this
past month on business. The bicycle infrastructure has certainly grown. But
the biggest change I noticed was the proliferation of people riding
bicycles that they were not pedaling.  And how they interacted with other
traffic--particularly other cyclists. In the bike shops, even my local,
tiny mom and pop that features mostly Kona commuters (and in a recent
Compass email showing a bunch of wheels lying around) I am amazed at the
number of discs to be found--a braking system adopted from motorcycles. On
a recent group ride, several riders had electronic shifting. I know I read
somewhere Grant talking about these emerging--and merging--trends, and what
that will mean in 15-20 years. This is a person who's career has been
defined by, not retrostyling or retrogrouching, but thinking about bicycles
and what defines a good, useful, aesthetically pleasing, joyful one, and at
the same time bucking trends that seem to complicate or distract from that.

For someone that thinks about these things, maybe it starts to become, not
what makes a Rivendell a Rivendell, but what makes a bicycle a bicycle. And
where would you come down to draw that line, based on your own feelings and
opinions about it, especially as a small-scale designer and seller of
bicycles. (I am not implying here that Grant thinks bicycles with disc
brakes are not bicycles. In fact, I am not implying anything about what he
thinks, just speculatin' on the internets!) Someone once mentioned to my
tai chi teacher that they had heard of others who were combining tai chi
with music and more dance-like forms, and was that okay. Master Yu replied
"Tai chi is tai chi. Shaolin is shaolin. Dance is dance." I know, not a
perfect analogy, but perhaps enough to make my point. But then again, there
is that Reese's commercial, "Hey, you got chocolate in my peanut butter."
<https://youtu.be/DJLDF6qZUX0>

Grant has alluded to other staff members having various levels of input on
some of the Rosco bikes. Some builds now feature STI, as configured by
"staff name here." I would imagine if a disc Riv were ever to emerge, it
could be, like a Mark's Rack, a Bob's HunqaDiscar, or what have you.
Electronic shifting and seat tube motor optional (the full Reese's!)

Quote: *I don't understand the animus against a Riv with discs.*

I would not argue that these trends don't have their place. It could be a
very good development in many respects, considering some of the problems of
the world. But at what point should the vehicles featuring them be called
something other than a bicycle? Anyway, as we know, Rivendell, tandem
excepted, does not currently make disc brake bikes, for reasons they have
explained any number of times. And in actuality, any animus regarding this
design choice (too strong a word either way though--frustration?) would
appear to be more from the Why *won't* Riv do discs camp.