Jay Connolly prophesied what will happen if Rivendell doesn't make a
disc-brake single bike.

I've prophesied that Rivendell is not going to make a disc-brake single
bike.

*BUT*....if they did decide to make a test run of disc brake equipped
bikes, what would you have them build?  In my opinion, the way they should
do it would be to take the tandem and hack the middle out of it:
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/web-special-frames/products/tandem?variant=39171992845

The segmented fork design allows them to use 9/8" threadless steerer
without having to cast a new fork crown.  The existing braze-on headtube
rings also are established components.

They'd need a disc-brake tab solution, maybe off the shelf, and (I hope) a
through-axle fork tip.

The rear end is also close to done.  They could stay with the existing
vertical QR dropouts, but a through axle would be much more
forward-looking.  Mike Varley collaborated with SoulCraft to design the
through axle solution for the SoulCraft Treehorn.  Maybe Riv could buy
those dropouts.

The result might be an even-beefier disc-Hunqapillar, made in Taiwan, and
could be significantly less expensive than the $1800 price point of the
tandem, maybe half-way between the $850 Clem and the $1800 tandem.  Maybe a
$1300 frameset.  Build 50 of those to test the waters.  That wouldn't be
impossible, and in the Rosco-Bubbe kind of batch-format, wouldn't involve
any deep apostasy to their core values.

I don't think they will do it, but if they did something like that, it
would not be insane, in my opinion.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA