Michele,

My riding sounds very similar to yours.  I do it all on a 56
canti-Hillborne which I think is great for the roads and lighter trails,
but becomes less desirable as things get rough and technical.  Part of that
is the lighter, more flexible build (country bike vs mountain bike), part
of it is due to the lower bottom bracket and part of it is due to the wheel
size (for me).  Ever since I tried out a 650b Clem at Riv HQ, I felt that
650b is the perfect wheel size for someone of my size.  I am 5'10", 165#
and 86 pbh.  Something about 650b felt like the perfect blend of stable and
nimble.  The 700c wheels on the Hillborne feel great on the road but feel a
little cumbersome on trails.  Additionally, I used to ride 26" wheeled MTBs
and always found them to be a little twitchy.  With all this in mind, I
have convinced myself that a 650b Hunq would be my dream bike (although I'd
be hard pressed to ever let my Hillborne go).  For me, that would be the
decisive issue.  Although the Appaloosa rode like a dream, the Hunq can be
had in 650b.  The 56cm demo at Riv HQ right is drool-worthy!

Either way, you can't go wrong.  Both great bikes.
John