I recall reading the story of 2 brothers who toured the world on custom
Raleighs (I think they were Raleighs) in the early '80s; they set their
bikes up with 2 chainrings but no front derailleurs, and carried
strategically hooked bits of wire clipped to the bar or something which
they used to shift the chain from ring to ring.

I recall building my Ken Rogers trike without a fd -- forget why; it had a
Stronglight 99 wide range double. It was fun, at the time, to be able to
come to a dead stop on a hill with feet still clipped in and butt in
saddle, then to release right foot, backpedal with left, and push the
bottom of the chain onto granny with right toe. I did have to get off at
the top of the hill to shift it back onto the big ring.

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:44 AM, Ian A <attew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried running without a front derailleur for a while. Stick shifting
> didn't work well for me.  I could never find a stick when I needed one,
> sometimes overshifted by foot, and quite often ended up with greasy hand
> syndrome.
>
> A well set-up front derailleur is a pleasure. Can be a pain to set-up, but
> the payoff is well worthwhile.
>
> IanA

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/