Thanks for reading, everyone. I’m so happy your devices didn’t crash with the
onslaught of photos.

I forgot to add one last thing re: the Bicycle Bus - how could I forget this?

This could be titled, Leah’s Bicycle Bus Goes to Court.

It was 3:00 pm on a lovely May day. School had just let out, and my two sons
and I were perched upon the sidewalk holding onto our bikes and waiting for the
WALK sign to walk the bikes across the crosswalk. There were several other kids
standing with us. I know it sounds crazy, but it was like it happened in slow
motion - an SUV came straight for us, came UP OVER THE CURB, ONTO THE SIDEWALK
and nearly hit us. Inches. Mere inches away. The driver continued to drive, his
two right wheels up on the sidewalk, driving as if nothing was amiss. There was
a row of orange cones near the curb, and as he drove on, he ran over two and
they became wedged under his chassis. He never reacted like anything was amiss;
he just kept driving. Clearly, this person is impaired. As we were still trying
to take this all in, a car drove by us with the window down and the driver, a
woman, said, “I saw that! I’m calling 911!”

We were all ok, and pulled ourselves together and began our climb up the hill.
When we reached the top, that kind woman had pulled over and was waiting for
police. She had followed the driver to the the entrance of the gated community
he must live in, and had reported his license plate number. She had been
following this driver because before our encounter, he had hit her car with his
and refused to stop. The damage to her car was minimal, and as she drove behind
him, she was mulling over whether to call the police or not when she saw him
drive up onto the sidewalk into a crowd of school kids. Now she knew what she
should do. We waited together until the police arrived.

The police officer wrote down our information and told us there were 5 other
recent incidents on this driver’s record besides ours. He was a tenacious
officer, not willing to give up and let this person go free. He went straight
to the residence but the man refused to answer the door. The officer continued
to make contact and hours later the man answered the door, and he was falling
down drunk. There was no way to prove he was drunk at the time of his incident
with us, so they read him the riot act but left without an arrest. They did
file charges of failure to maintain his lane and leaving the scene of an
accident. Just before my trip to Europe I found out the drunk was fighting
these charges, prompting the City to subpoena me (and other other woman
involved) to court as a witness. I’ve stayed out of trouble my whole life, so
being in court is new and intimidating for me. I was greatly relieved when the
court date was called off two nights before I left for Europe. I returned home,
planted my feet on American soil  just in time to get another subpoena, this
one for December 13. The investigator who subpoenaed me said the guy is likely
trying to cut a deal, thus the continuance. I’m rather dreading facing this man
in court. I never saw his face, only his vehicle, so I’m not a good witness.
The other woman will be more important, I would think. I am not looking forward
to an attorney pointing this out to me, or to having my character questioned. I
also know where this man lives and thanks to Facebook, who he is. Which means
he can know who I am as well. He has a lot of money and is in a really bad
emotional state; thanks to FB I also know he has a teenage son dying of brain
cancer. I feel for him, but he’s going to kill someone.

Leah