When pictures of my Hilsen first showed up on Cyclofiend, someone e-
mailed me a brief - 'Wow.  How's that TCO doing ya?' Or something
generally in that line.  Presumably the author meant to make me feel
bad for having bought the bike.

Two problems with the effort.  First, with its 32 tires and SKS
fenders a 59 Hilsen does not have TCO.  Second, even if it did, as
Grant points out, so what.  Obviously designers do not build a bike
intending to have TCO.  But there are many other design elements more
important than avoiding the occasional toe clip fender knock.