Eric-

I believe there were indeed a batch of CR-18s made several years ago that
were out of specification; the diameter was larger than 622 mm.  I don't
know if they were mis-labeled 630 mm (aka 27") rims or just bad quality
control.

Perhaps yours were from that batch?  Where and when did you get them?

In my experience, it's mostly about the rim.  Tubeless-ready rims have a
tighter fit and are harder to mount tires to.  For example, my Pari-Motos
are tougher to mount on my Pacenti PL-23 rims (tubeless-ready) than they
were on the previous Velocity Synergy rims.

Since the CR-18 isn't tubeless-ready, it has to be something else.