On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 12:02:53 PM UTC-6, Fred Craven wrote:

> \I'm in the Dallas area, so we really haven't had much cold yet, but I
> would like to be able to ride comfortably in the 40s. I know that many of
> you do that. I'm open for suggestions.

Well, here in Wisconsin, that doesn't really count as cold :-)  In the
40's, I ride to work (8-9 miles each way) in knickers (MUSA or Compass)
over wool boxer briefs,  a light wool long-sleeve base layer up top, and a
wind shell or a heavy wool or flannel shirt depending on the wind and
precipitation. In the upper 40's I may or may not use my light weight wool
helmet liner, but by the low 40's that's desired. Also in the high 40's I
might still use light weigh wool gloves, but by the low 40's a heavier
weight glove with wind blocking is better. I don't cover my face (light
weight wool balaclava) until it gets to the mid 20's. I add light wool long
underwear pants under the knickers when it gets to the 30's. When it gets
below freezing I will wear heavier tights under the knickers, or go with
light tights and full nylon pants (like MUSA or a nice old pair of Supplex
pants from Performance about 30 years ago), depending on wind and
precipitation. Footwear - suede bmx style sneakers with quarter height wool
socks until it gets down to the low 40's or wet, then crew socks and low
hiking shoes with eVent lining.

Everyone's milage varies a lot in this area. It definitely requires
experimentation. Get a few key layering items and try combinations. You
definitely don't need bike specific stuff. Flannel or wool shirts are
fabulous for cool biking and go well with knickers or MUSA pants. Smartwool
base layers are versatile and mine have been holding up very well over
time. Ibex is having a closeout sale (sadly, but great opportunity to buy
some things that will last a long time). I find most cycling specific outer
wear ("rain gear") is way too warm until it gets to the 30's. Pit zips and
a 2-way front zipper and rear ventilation help with that. I think my
toughest find is a light weight, water repellent (not completely
waterproof) outer shell for wind blocking and minor rain protection without
over heating. The closest I have to that is an old Supplex wind shell from
Performance, but it's a half zip front with no pit zips, and an odd
"periwinkle" color that isn't ideal.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI