Been there with the wool and polarfleece stuff.

I think Wiggy's has a better solution. His Lamilite stuff is great: very
light in weight, comfortable thru a wide temp range, and easily machine
washable... which wool is not (easily washed and dried).

His Kodiac mittens are wonderful for cold bike days.