Have been reading this thread with interest, as I’m hoping to start bike
commuting again soon, once the clavicle heals and the snow and ice are off the
roads.

I’m wondering what the OP’s requirements are with regard to locking the bike up
vs. being able to bring it inside at work, leaving the bags on the bike vs.
having to take them with, etc?..

My most preferred set up for ride quality is either a front bag on a rack or a
saddlebag, but only if I can bring the bike in with me. (None of the saddlebags
or front bags that I’ve seen or used seem to be very good for easily releasing
and then easily carrying...) Often I cannot bring the bike inside, so some kind
of quick release and good portage option are needed. In those cases, I find
that the inexpensive Wald basket up front works (I just put my work bag in, go,
lock, grab, go), as long as the load is not too heavy. In either case, I find
that a road bike with a decently long wheelbase does pretty well.