Thanks for the responses everybody.

Well, I've gone and done it....just got off the phone with Will at Riv and
ordered an Appaloosa. Honestly, it came down to the lugs and that sweet
headbadge. lol.

Now I have a few weeks to put a parts list together and figure out how to
properly set this bike up.

I'm very excited about this one. I've owned three Rivs in the past but they
were primarily road bikes and I have since taken myself off the roads and
hit the trails and less traveled gravel roads. If I still owned the Sam H I
had I would just convert that over to gravel/trail duty but I am very
interested to try out these long chainstays. One issue with the gravel
roads around me is that the gravel is deep and over hardpack which makes a
bike with 32's or 38's pretty sketchy when going downhill, sketchy enough
to detract from the happiness of the ride. The Appaloosa with its long
chainstays and bigger tire clearance should theoretically be pretty awesome
on it. I currently have a Kona cross bike which is decidely less awesome on
those roads, for sure. Plus....Lugs.