In that picture the tires are Specialized Fast Trak Controls, 29x2.2.  If
I'm top of things they're setup tubeless, but sometimes I'm swapping tires
a lot and just don't bother.  The Fast Traks are XC-oriented with small
knobs and would probably work well for what you're describing, but it
sounds like you could get away with something even more minimally knobbed
like the Thunder Burts or G-Ones.

I recently slashed the rear Specialized and threw on a Continental Trail
King (just what was available to me at the time).  Definitely grippier
off-road but noticeably smaller, even though they're both marked 2.2".