I like to think I can get torque slightly more easily with the 175s on my
Matthews, but really, what I feel is that they are slightly harder to spin
compared to the 170s I use on everything else. I certainly couldn't tell a
difference when I briefly used 172.5s on a Ram. There are so many variables
between the other bikes and the Matthews, starting with Q and including
wheel weight and diameter, overall bike weight, and tire width, that it's
really a guess to say this, but just perhaps it is easier to push a given
gear in given conditions at low to moderate cadences with the longer cranks
-- I seem find myself pushing a 68 to 72" gear on the Matthews, on
pavement, surprisingly easily given the weight of the wheels and the bike
compared to the others -- but again, it's just a guess. But it's a guess
that will have me staying with 175s for off road.

I've never used 165s.