Och, aye! When I first began riding through the nearby town to get to other
rides that my wife used to drive me to (they are on quiet roads and trails, so
my bludgeoned brain could handle them, riding them helped me heal enough I
could eventually ride through town and get to them myself), I saw narry a
pedestrian or fellow cyclist. I was also grouchy trying to navigate traffic,
riding far to the right as I could. More oft than not I didn’t make it through
town to those quieter roads and trails.

I needed to try something different. Along the lines of “be the change you wish
to see” I decided to change my fundimental countanance on the road and wave an
smile at everyone, while simultaniously being traffic, riding in the right tire
“trough” in the road instead of the far right. Instantly, drivers becamse
neutral rather than agressive. They passed me by going into the other lane. I
waved at them all, whether they were oncoming or passing from behind. Still, it
was neutral. Almost no waves. occationaly, the generious driver would raise
their index finger on their steering wheel.

It took about two years. Suddenly, drivers began waving at me. Real waves,
remiving their hands from the steering wheel waves. Now I get some drivers so
excited to see me I think they may leap through their front windshield waving,
peace signing, grinning, and thumbs upping. I see pedestrians and cyclists all
around town and on CR21. I even see some folks bicycling to trails. Weird stuff!

It’s corilarly and I have no illusion that y presence was causal, but sometimes
all it takes is one person being seen doing something kfor others to realize it
is possible to do it too. If that person looks happy doing it, all the more so.

Great job, J! Sounds like your traffic is far more than I deal with (or could),
so I imagine the “take the lane and wave” approach may be wrong in various
circumstances, but just being seen and smiling through multiple years may will
help people realize what is possible and figure out they could do it too. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick