I think having it the same wheelsize as the Bleriot is kinda' cool. I like
that on my bikes (although w/ 700c).  Maybe keeping the Bomba as is (or
adding drops for a monstercross type set up) and turning the Bleriot into a
lighterweight road bike would be an option?  Maybe adding on a lightweight
XC mtn. bike like a Curtlo in the same size so you can swap wheelsets.  Here
is Steve F's that he showed on the 650b list
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40738...@n08/4043720735/sizes/l/ and I must say
it looks like a well done bike!

The XO of course throws a wrench into that equation.

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :-)

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:26 AM, jinxed <hbcl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So there have been several recent threads I have been following with
> interest. They are all revolving around questions I have regarding my
> Bombadil. Canti vs. side pull, 26" vs. 650b vs. 700, and the subtle
> shades of Rivendell models, ie: bikes like the Hunq and Sam falling in
> between other existing models.
>
> My first Rivendell happened to be my first 650b as well with the
> purchase of my Bleriot. I fell in love with it instantly. It became
> the only bike I rode. Then having a whetted appetite for Riv designs I
> wanted to expand with an off road specific bike and debated between
> the Bombadil, and Atlantis ultimately deciding on the Bombadil.
>
> My hope was that I had chosen a bike that had different capabilities
> than the Bleriot to compliment it. I am finding that other than the
> difference in handlebars position, the bikes are extremely close in
> capability for me. This is where the wheel size is coming into play.
> After riding some similar lugged/rigid 26" wheeled bikes back to back
> with my Bomba, I find I prefer the 26" while riding technical rocky
> terrain. Most likely because that is what I have been mountain biking
> on for 20 years. It's not that I do not like the Bomba, but I feel the
> 2 Riv's I have are sort of redundant in the terrain I am comfortable
> riding them in. The thread regarding canti bikes had me thinking that
> if the Bleriot had cantis and just a little knobbier tire option than
> the fatty rumpkins...the Bomba would have never been bought.
>
> This has me questioning my keeping the Bombadil or at least how I have
> it set up. So I have been considering swapping it to drop bars,
> narrower tires, and using it for longer rides where I am carrying my
> panniers to go camping, but only on groomed mixed terrain, dirt roads
> etc. Then finding a 26" wheeled bike for the MTB use, and leave my
> Bleriot as is because I love it as my go to bike.
>
> In the midst of this mental acrobatics, I completely stumbled on a 26"
> wheeled xo-3 and became the new owner. So now I truly have 3 bikes in
> very close relation.
>
> I realize many of the members here are multiple Riv bike owners, and I
> am wondering how you diversify their use? They all seem so very
> closely capable with new models coming to fill seemingly narrow
> "gaps".
>
> All this boils down to me considering a trade on the Bomba for
> something of the same level but in a canti version 700c. Canti
> Romulus? A true all-rounder?
>
> Thoughts?

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy