On 04/05/2018 12:38 PM, dougP wrote:
"I does make me curious what others may think is the ideal spacing between cogs when climbing and shifting down while attempting to maintain a somewhat constant cadence."

That sure depends a lot on the terrain, how much and how fast it changes, and how much you and your load weigh.    I like 1-tooth differences up at the top end, 2-tooth in the middle going to 3 for the last few on most of my bikes, but there are a couple that seem happier with spacing more like

I've never run more than 8 (and always a triple), so pretty far behind current thinking.  For general use & touring, 2 tooth jumps between the smallest cogs, going to 3 in the middle & 4 for the last couple shifts well and doesn't feel like stepping into a hole.  12-14-26-28-21-24-28-32 (or 34) meets my needs.

I'll bet you mean 12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32.  I have a customized version of that cassette (substituting a 1st position 13 for the 12) on my Jack Taylor, where it works very nicely.

I was cautious about the 28 to 34 being too big but it shifts well and actually feels like a good change.  Sometimes the 28 to 32 doesn't feel like much of a change.  Chainrings are 24-34-44, with 700 x 40 tires.

It feels fine to me, but then most of mine have 3-tooth steps at the low gear end.  And, as it happens, 36x32 is just fine for most of the steep terrain where I ride.  I have a 24T granny ring, but only get to use it maybe once a month or so.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia