Yo Bill, as one 65 year old fart to another, you're gonna have a
blast. I have to say that because I'm about to do the Colorado segment with
another 65 yr old. We gotta stick together.
      I like the comments so far. Food for thought is wonderful when you
have that hunger of anticipation. Patrick made a good point. If you've ever
thought ultralight now's the time. And keep as much off the front as
possible. It's much easier to push a loaded bike without awkwardly
bulgeous  front panniers. There's less manhandling, which can be
exhausting. If you can forgo the front panniers altogether do it.
      Which leads me to a suggestion. Get a Nitto lampholder 2-70 (SJS
Cycles) and hang a Nelson long flap or Camper off of it. This makes pushing
uphill much more manageable as your legs don't end up knocking into the
panniers when the bike is being unwieldly. Here is a lampholder in action
on the front of my Condor touring bike (with front panniers in this
instance) and then my set up on the Dave Bohm in steep country:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24722971@N05/34136413404/in/album-72157684433492685/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24722971@N05/2619731131/in/album-72157605875983685/

     The Condor has small front panniers (Carradice Super C's) on this
particular trip. Sometimes I like front panniers because I carry a lot of
water here in desert country. Up there in the northern country water is
less of an issue. Since you're going on an organized tour I'd ask one of
the leaders what he/she thinks about this.  A light front end in rough
country is handy.

     As far as bears go I've not had any experience with bear spray but I
have had experience with bears. I take a marine whistle. These things are
killer loud and they make bears go away in rapid retreat. At least brown
bears. You might just piss off a grizzly. At which point you'd probably
wish you'd brought bear spray.
https://www.campmor.com/c/harmony-tornado-t2000-marine-whistle

As you're on an organized tour you probably won't need these things but I
always bring a chain tool, a headset/pedal wrench combo, and a crank
wrench. Have never had a bottom bracket come loose but have had cranks
loosen up. Have also had a loose headset or two. Weird things happen on
rough roads.

     I prefer rain capes to rain jackets. Don't care about wet legs. But
that is a desert adaptation. You're less worried about warmth and capes are
much cooler when riding. They also make a great mini-tent when you sit
cross-legged and wait out a storm.

Have fun.
Craig in Tucson