<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xzqTG-fy4-g/WxWHMKmY8fI/AAAAAAAEzWs/Xj7HeOP1ELEN80qK1otC1BEAa906C_YRQCLcBGAs/s1600/Steve%2527s%2BRam.jpg>
I live in DC, and my city bike is a Ram, as pictured.  Sure its a bit
lighter and perhaps racier than the other bikes noted, but it is the bike
best suited for all situations for me.  What makes it a City bike is
perhaps the thing that does not make it a country bike - the grips and the
brakes are in the same place at the end of the bars.  There is no "other"
racier hand position to take, because the trade-off is that my brake handle
and shifter are always nearby.  There is never a question of needing the
shift positions or worry about my current position in the event of an
emergency, or which there are about one every 30 seconds in the City.

The pizza rack in front also denotes city bike because I can actually grab
a pizza on my way home, or tote whatever I might need from the local
market.  I also get to go pretty fast when I want to or can.  Keeping up
with traffic is pretty important to me when possible, so having a bike that
can get to 20 mph (okay with a downhill) is important to me.

Your mileage may vary.