The max spread of a dos freewheel is fairly small, yet you can get a wider
spread with two single freewheels and get profiscient at flipping the tire. It
takes about a minute when you get the hang of it (unless you’re loaded with
panniers, then that’s a different story!), vs 30 seconds with a Dos Eno. Play
with Sheldon Brown’s gear calculator to get an idea of how much spread you can
get with say a 16/22 free wheel set up, then play with the chain rings with say
40/30 (56t/62t, for a 6 tooth difference). That’s a decent climbing gear (my
Hunqapillar’s low is 34x22, for 42”). It’s what I use for bikepacking (75 pound
bike load) on the steep stuff. For me, it’s too low for day rides with 40 pound
bike/load total), but from what you describe, lower may be better. Also, I’m
riding fixed gear, which allows for a higher gearing because of the direct
connection to the rear wheel. My set up is flipflop hub with 17/22 cogs and
38/34 chainring, giving me 38x17=61”; 38x22=47”; and 32x22=42. That leaves with
with a 5 tooth difference, allowing flexability for wider tires and adiquate
clearence.

Feel free to pm me anytime on the floor living questions.

With abandon,
Patrick