Joe, I love your passion, but I believe there is more challenge and nuance here
than you realize and it seems at best disingenuious to put all blame on Trump
(whatever else a person may think of him) when our immigration laws and border
have been broken since at least the Reagan era (who granted a path to
citizenship for illegal immigrants at the time as an attempt to make things
right and prompt Congress to get its act together).

— Family is the sacrosanct building block of society and parents have
fundimental rights that no one can take away and the State should alwasy strive
to uphold these. Among these rights are the rights to be with and educate their
children.
— A nation has a right and responsibility to have defined borders and control
them.
— A nation has a right to define what the legal path to citizenship is and a
responsibility to provide a legal path to citizenship. I believe we have done
this poorly and I also believe it is on the Congresses of the last four decades
that we have not upheld human dignity with just immigration laws.
— This in no way justifies it, but I believe children have been seperated from
the adults accompanying them at the border in very specific circumstances under
at least the last four presidents, possibly back to Clinton. Why? My take is it
is an imperfect and bungled attempt to address the challenging situation of
adults using children for their own benifit in various ways. I don’t know how
frequent these circumstances are, or how many actualy families have been
separated, but the fact that four presidents chose the same thing, and
increased it in some cases, tells me there is something else, of a grave
nature, going on.
— Trump took action to stop separation of families at the border via executive
order, using it to attempt to get Congress to pass more just laws. He is
attempting to get done what the previous four (+?) presidends could not — get
Congress to address immigration and border issues (you can’t solve one without
solving the other). So far Congress has balked, on both sides.
— Enflamed rhetoric is verbal violence. Violence in all forms always escalates
and harms and never heals.
— Logic and reason have stopped being taught in schools for the most part and
it shows. We are becoming a Facebook nation in how we communicate, with no
better skills at dialogue, logic, and reason than happen on college dormroom
door whiteboards.

With abandon,
Patrick