Well, if you saw me in one of those wicked stretchy, neon-rainbow-
colored, advert-festooned synthetic jerseys, you'd be thinking...
catastrophic failure!

As for the steel v carbon thing... it's much, much simpler. Forget
about catastrophic failure, fatigue, and all that rocket science
stuff. It was a beautiful day in my hometown, Concord MA (about 20
miles NW of Boston), yesterday. Fifty-something degrees and sunny.
There were a million people out on their bikes. I had just read "The
Rant" before I went out on my ride. As I was riding along and checking
out everyone's bike, I noticed something... people on carbon bikes are
way too serious. They all look like if they could just get to wherever
they're going faster than the last time, then life would be good until
the next time they rode when they'd have to beat that time. Unless
their friend was a little faster. Then they're miserable. And if you
put two or more of them together, they need to ride wheel to wheel to
maximize draft and get wherever it is they're going faster. They look
straight ahead and they're almost never smiling. Only about 1 in 10
will say hello as they pass. The frames are impossibly small, the
seats incredibly narrow, the bars are way below the seat, and...
well... it reminded me that before I bought my Atlantis, I had a
Lemond (steel with a carbon fork) and that was more or less how I
rode. It wasn't comfortable. It was all about the cyclocomputer. And
riding was more of a competitive event that just plain fun. Now it's
just fun and comfortable and I'm happy every time I go out for a
ride.

I never installed a computer on my Atlantis. I ride as far as I want
and as fast as I want. Having a steel bike lets me do that. All those
folks on carbon (and I don't mean this critically) don't pay attention
to folks on steel. But... if you ride carbon and dress the part,
carbon passing carbon is always a competitive event. You can't not be
about going faster. You can't relax. You don't notice stuff along the
way. The first time I rode my Atlantis on my favorite route after 10
years on a Lemond, I saw 100 things I'd never noticed before along the
way. Steel is liberating that way. Frankly, I could care less what
people ride. As for carbon being dangerous... it probably is more
dangerous. But... it turns out that the most dangerous things in life
are the most mundane. It's more dangerous getting in and out of the
bathtub or crossing the street. Or these days, driving a Toyota
(kidding...). So let them ride carbon and think of the benefits...
they pass you fast, they won't interrupt your happiness by saying
hello, and they're long gone much more quickly than if they were
riding steel.