On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Patrick in VT <psh...@drm.com> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 10:43 am, Buck <ahurv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But... if you ride carbon and dress the part,
>> carbon passing carbon is always a competitive event. You can't not be
>> about going faster. You can't relax. You don't notice stuff along the
>> way. The first time I rode my Atlantis on my favorite route after 10
>> years on a Lemond, I saw 100 things I'd never noticed before along the
>> way. Steel is liberating that way.
>
> that's a mindset.  it has nothing to do with steel vs. carbon.
> before carbon was the norm, racer boys and girls were riding steel.
>
> anyway, some folks like to ride fast - so what?  maybe they have a
> personal goal that requires some intense training.  maybe it's the one
> time during the week they have a chance to exercise.  maybe - imagine
> this - they actually like the ups and downs of competition!  that's
> part of the fun of sports - and, like it or not, cycling is still a
> competitive sport.  and since when is being competitive a bad
> thing?
>
> seriously, why knock people for that?  that attitude bums me out more
> than any carbon vs. steel debate.

I have to agree. I have cycling friends who have their one fancy
carbon bike and though they don't and never did have a chance at
winning a race, continue to have fun competing on a bike. Many of them
are also regular bike commuters and even outside of racing and
training they ride more miles than many of us do, and on the same sort
of commuter bike many of us ride. I rather enjoy being underestimated
when people see me on my "old" bikes, but i've had many fun miles with
friends on their carbon or titanium bikes too. Certainly it may be
that the type A competition-only mindset is more prevalent among
carbon bike fans, but in the end it's just a bike, it doesn't create a
mindset.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN