When I bought my first bike in 1995, I had the dealer swap out the saddle,
stem and handlebars for a more upright and comfortable position and then I
rode that bike with no changes until 2007 when I bought a different bike
that I rode completely stock until 2011.  Then I discovered Rivendell.
Since 2011, I haven't had a single stock bike and I probably haven't had a
bike go a month without something being changed.