I purchased a Cannondale touring bike some twenty years ago.  I was
dissatisfied with the set up of the bike and resorted to Rivendell to
change the bars, seat post and saddle.  After a lilltle while, I swapped
out the stem, another set of bars, the bell and bought some pretty bottle
cages.   Things were quiet for a couple of years until I bit the bullet and
bought an Atlantis frame (no 93).  Of course, things couldn't stand still
after that so I acquired another handlebar, stem, plastic fenders and a new
set of wheels.  I moved to Wollongong, a coastal rust belt city with
stunning beaches.  I changed the bars, the stem, the saddle, installed
stainless steel fenders and bought a set of Paul's thumbies with Silver
shifters.  Other bikes intervened and, on return, I was dissatisfied so I
swapped the handlebars back, swapped the silver shifters for shimano,
replaced the crank, installed custom rings and a lovely long cage
derailleur.

When I can't sleep at night, I cruise Pauls website and think about
swapping the brakes out.

This doesn't include consumables like handlebar wrap, handlebar grips,
cables, chain, brake pads, leather seat goo, chain cleaner, chain lube,
bike cleaner, tyres and tubes.

So over a twenty year period I have coughed up about fifteen to twenty
gorillas in Constant Dollar Values.  Take the worst case and calculate on a
gorilla a year which I consider a pittance compared to the joy of cresting
a hill to see the sun rising from the ocean or scattering the firetails and
blue wrens when i cut through Puckey's Reserve or standing abashed when
some bright young thing in a negligible bikini gushes over that beautiful
bicycle.

Next year I'm off to a major bicycle event in Sydney where they have a swap
meet and I believe that I will have to take a double table.

I have four bikes and am considering a fifth.  The fourth is a custom as
will be the fifth but evenso I have plans to swap out the saddle.