I'm a bicycle advocate here in the suburbs outside Washington DC. I field
questions about bike commuting all of the time. I'm always pointing folks
toward more stable bikes with fatter tires. Most of the local bike shops
are on board with this idea as well and stock bikes that are more useful.
At most LBSs I still get looks like I'm an alien for my 40c tires, fenders,
generator lights and luggage.

I know personally I've hit patches of ice on my Dutch bike that would have
made me crash on more sporting bikes. I once heard an REI employee tell a
customer, "Oh, you want to ride 6 miles to work? You need a road bike like
this one... " while pointing at something at home in a pace line. Not good
advice.

In my opinion there are two things newer commuters need from a commuting
bike:
1) *Eliminating excuses* - Fenders, lights, racks or baskets, lockability.
Excuses eliminated: Oh, it rained last night and I don't want to get my
clothes dirty. I have to take brownies to work, I can't carry them on a
bike! It's getting dark earlier and my lights aren't working/charged. Oh,
my bike will be locked up at the Metro station, someone will steal it.
2) *Easy maintenance* - Basic shifting (1x8, 1x9., IGH or single speed),
fatter tires to prevent flats and can be pumped up 1x week, decent brakes
that won't squeal or shudder after a week