Maybe your friend was trying to shift his gears with a stick when they
crashed, or their fender jammed, or their overloaded Wald basket/nitto rack
failed into their front wheel? ;-)

My point is, any bike rider can wipe out. V-brakes can have the same type
of on/off problems with modulation that you're referring to with disk
brakes, but I don't think disks are inherently more dangerous. There's many
situations or environments where they could be easily be seen as being more
safe. My experience with disk brakes has been super positive; even the
cheapo hydro models are so much nicer that cantis IMO.

-Kevin
In Madison, WI