Philip, a begenning tent recommendation is somewhat like someone asking for a
begenning bike recommendation. Sardonic grin.

First, borrow one from someone if you can. You’ll learn a lot about what you
like and don’t like and why. Of course the risk is you break it you buy it and
you may not want it.

If you just want protection from dew/frost and light rain, a tarp is all you
need. Go uber elite with the tarp and add a trekking pole to one corner and
three stakes to the others and it’ll do well even in a moderate downpoor. Cheep
and light, but also airy (problimatic in colder weather) and buggy (both
crawlies and airborn). This is likely the least expensive way to go for a test
tent system and any quality ripstop medium weight nylon tarp will work from
your local surplus store. Or just bring the fly from you big tent. Grin.

Hammock camping is well worth trying, but set ups vary and if the temp drops
below 40 you need insulative layers under/outside the hammock. Not all sites
allow hammocks or have the trees they require, but they are wonderful in treed,
sloped areas that are uncampable by tent.

Tents: Until you know you are wanting to do this often in varying conditions
regardless of weather forecast, you will learn a lot with a Walmart equivilant
or el-cheepo Campmore or REI bargain 1-2 person tent. Avoid the ultralight
tents untill you know you want to spend a lot for a tent that any real weather
will shred around you when it matters. No need to buy a pricy tent yet. Most
work just as well/poorly as the el-cheepos.

Once you know you are dumb enough to go camping regardless of the weather and
since you are biking a 3.5 pound tent that sets up easily (you pitch the fly
and the tent is already pitched inside. Brilliant.) and dry inside even if you
packed it wet and stands up to any weather, any season, any continent, buy a
Hilliberg Akto. Need shade on a hot day? Push the inner tent to the side and
you have a covered and breezy porch. A bit like my raingear quest leading to
the ultimate answer in ventile, I tried way too many tents before I caved and
tried Hilleberg the Tentmaker and on the first trip wished I’d bought the right
tent from the start.

With abandon,
Patrick