For fancier lighter tents check out tarptent.com. I have their contrail and
it is a great tent. You will have seam seal it yourself and supply a tyvek
ground sheet.

Hammock camping is well worth looking into too. If permitted and suitable
for the environment I prefer the hammock, but still use the tent quite a
bit since trees are not everywhere and some campsites forbid them. In
general though being above the dirt and wet is more pleasant than on the
dirt and wet.

Other drawbacks of the hammock are setup time takes longer to get it
perfect. More bulk for similar warmth. A pain in the butt to share with
someone. Learning curve. Research time wasted ;-).

In the end, having both is nice. If I had to go with just one I would go
with a tent, but sleep much better in a hammock.

IN ADDITION AND ONLY SOMEWHAT RELATED: for those of you who own tarps -
bring them. We had one rainy year and having tarps to string over the
"communal area" immensely improved the experience. I will bring a 6'X8' and
cord, but more is always better.

See you all soon!

Clayton Scott
HBG, CA