I have an Element. I think it's a *great *bike GPS computer, but navigation
off piste is not it's strong point, at all. If you're planning your route
ahead of time (with ridewithGPS), it'll be perfect. But if you're trying to
wayfind in a remote location, you're going to be SOL. There's no topo info,
you can't pan/scan in the device, you can't add new routes without a
companion phone with internet access. In short, improvisation on mtb trails
or off pavement is hard. The Element displays some, but not all mtb/hiking
trails.

When I'm on riding in a remote area, I use the Element in conjunction with
a companion map app on my phone where I can download maps ahead of time,
like google maps, MotionX GPS, or Avenza. These apps will place your
location on your choice of style of map. Having both devices is really
important if you need to improvise.