My experience with a dedicated GPS (Garmin 810, Garmin GPSMAP 62) for
biking is they're great for recording your ride and for finding out where
you are, but are poor in terms of dynamic routing and way finding, even
with screens and stored map info. (The 810 assumes I'm a car, and routes me
as one...) I'd always augment the GPS with "something else" like Google
Maps or ridewithgps.com as other people have noted. I especially like
Deacon's approach with paper/weatherproof maps for trailblazing in the
wilderness, which I'd couple with paper, sharpie, and a handlebar clip to
create route sheets on the fly for trail markers and turnoffs. In the city,
I take the time to stop and use a smartphone to do the routing, and
sometimes use Google Streetview to check if a route is too sketchy for a
bike or if there are pedestrian shortcuts available since, as I said, all
that dynamic routing software assumes I'm a car.

For the kind of riding you're planning to do, I'd recommend a Garmin
handheld used for hiking like the eTrex 20 (for something elegant) or the
GPSMAP 64 (for something that's absolutely bulletproof) coupled with a RAM
mount (https://www.rammount.com/). (H/T Vikapproved -
https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/garmin-etrex-20-review/) These
can work as bike computers with the mount, and are useful on a hike as
well. Both have displays that give you a rough idea of where you are
relative to trails so you can find your "solved" location on a larger paper
map.

A note on digital maps: I'm not familiar with Wahoo, but stock maps on
Garmin's hikers are normally low resolution. Map resolution isn't so
important for road maps but extremely so for topography maps. (In the city,
most navigation algorithms assume you're going to be on a road.) Garmin
does have higher resolution maps
(https://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/outdoor) for a price beyond the unit -
kinda cheesy but people recommend to budget for both the unit and the topo
map of the region you're interested in when shopping. If the extra cost of
topo maps is an issue, there are open source topo maps available for
download onto the Garmins - see https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ - but that
requires a bit of work and experimentation to get up and running. For road
maps on the 810, I use an OpenStreetsMap - http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
- of my region.

On uploading your rides, for Garmin they have a free site called "Garmin
Connect" which can be linked to other sites
(https://connect.garmin.com/en-US/) to record and analyze your rides. I
upload the rides from my 810 to my Garmin Connect account, then the Garmin
Connect pushes those out to my Strava and ridewithgps.com accounts
automagically. The upload can be done via a USB cable on the computer and a
web browser; alternatively, for models with Bluetooth, that can be done by
syncing through an app on a smartphone which happens automatically when the
unit connects to the phone and the phone has a connection to the internet.

--Ed C.