iPhone apps ... you describe them well. Download for off line use. This isn’t
very difficult, but does take enough planning that you have the general area.
However, mobile signal is often available even in pretty remote areas at least
occationally. On ridges, above treeline, when the squirrels and wind
inexplicably align. Grin. I leave my phone in airplane mode (saves battery),
then connect once a day or so in a spot I guess will have signal. Phone memory
is generally not an issue, so, when in doubt, download all areas around where
you are going and you’ll have what you need.

In the case of Gaia, their premium membership is very attractive to me because
their maps are what I use wherever possible. If I don’t need to buy paper for
the whole route, that becomes very attractive.

With abandon,
Patrick