Patrick,

With two purchases of heirloom quality goods, you can buy beans up to six
months (though 2 is preferable) at a time at the same price for coffee beans as
you pay now per pound (roughly $5-6 a pound before shipping), and have the
best, smoothest, most remarkable coffee in the world (tied with the rest of us
who do this. Grin.). The difference will likely astonish you. If you are asking
questions about freezing or not freezing, you may as well experience the full
answer, so at the very least you know what you are missing. Grin. Next time we
are able to meet and ride, I’ll give you a taster. Grin.

1. Zen Roaster. I didn’t wax on about this roaster much above, but it is made
by a multiple generational ceramic craft family in Japan and it shows. It is
stunning ceramic. We bought a second one to have as a spare should something
happen to the first, but it just shrugs off bumps and dings with our cast iron
stove grill and other pots. Haven’t dropped it on the floor though, but
wouldn’t be surprised if it shrugged that off too. It is the very definition of
beausage, becoming a lustrious black inside from the bean roasting, and like a
speckled egg on the outside from the chafe bits occationally flairing up on it.
You’d likely spend 20 minutes total roasting once to twice a week to have fresh
roasted beans daily. (best used between 4 hours and two weeks, though the sweet
spot most people love is somewhere in the first week).

2. Quality hand grinder. There is beauty in a well crafted human powered tool
and in using it. It is a richer, fuller experience to feel the texture of the
beans grind. Did you know you can feel the roast level by the bean grind?

With abandon,
Patrick