I don’t know those shifters well enough, but I’d be inclined to go with
shifters that are meant for their job, and as I recall those weren’t.

The front derailler (or at least most) should be in the little ring position
naturally. Meaning you have to pull the cable to get it to leave that position,
and if you were to release the cable, it would snap back to that position. I
think because of this, a too long cable would only impact pulling to the larger
chainrings, not staying in the littlest.

I have had a couple older bikes where the FD gets kinda stuck in the outer
position. I assume from years or decades of it never being shifted, but I doubt
that’s the case here.

I’d check limit screws to make sure it’s not adjusted to push the derailler out
a bit too much. And also maybe check that when you down shift, the cable isn’t
getting hung up somewhere, creating some slack in the line that isn’t allowing
the derailler to pull itself back downward.

I’m sure an actual bike mechanic would’ve understood all this way better than I
do. That’s kind of the puzzling part.