Robert,

I think you touched what's possibly the dividing line!

Achilles tendonitis or plantar fasciitis will change the way you assess
shoe fit. I've had a go at both and now I use Birkenstock 3/4 footbeds in
my shoes at work. Chacos have more contouring of their footbed, like a
Birkenstock, and if you've never had those troubles, it seems excessive.
For me, the arch(es) and shaping are reassuring when they're on my feet.

Our friend, pictured in her Chacos, is in Birkenstocks otherwise weather
permitting. Professional ballet did a number on her feet, and she's picky
about her footwear as a car-free bicyclist and pedestrian.

If Z2 toe straps feel more cinched later in the day it can be fluid
retention in your feet, a signal for some electrolyte replacement. I try to
keep mine adjusted often. When I wash them (often) I really work the strap
movement to clean the webbing under the footbed and the channels they move
in, it facilitates some movement per your foot while wearing them.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh