Ana:

If you plan to stay in San Francisco proper, the easiest way to Rivendell
is to take BART to Walnut Creek.  Rivendell is just a 5 minute walk from
the station, albeit a bit tricky to find.  Locals can chime in on taking
your bike on BART.

As to lodgings, I'm a big fan of hostels.  In San Francisco, the Ft Mason
Hostel is a great location & they let you lock up your bike inside.  I've
also stayed at the Marin Headlands hostel and the Pt Reyes hostel.  Pt
Reyes is a challenging ride, and you need to bring your own groceries as
it's pretty remote.  Also great camping Pt Reyes park.  Highly recommend
rambling around Marin & Sonoma counties.

dougP