Patrick, I have two dynamo systems that have both been on thousands of
miles touring, commuting, bouncing down rocks, and wading through rivers.

Never an issue. I do not carry any backup system. I have also never had a
problem with theft after years in Oakland, but I am careful where I lock
and always lock my front wheel. I have had the rear and seat post and
handlebars stolen, separately.

So, managed risks. I consider high quality dynamo tech (Shutter Precision
or Shimano) very reliable.
*--*
*Daniel Christopher Corral*
Sociology, University of California, Berkeley.
Outreach Coordinator, Bike East Bay.
corral.chr...@gmail.com | (562)331-3937

League of American Bicyclists LCI #6198
RUSA Member #12868